Tuesday 19 February 2013

Inspiring Wellness Success Stories 2


Continuing our series highlighting the amazing results that are possible with a wellness programme, we hear from Helen who begins the summary of her journey by saying,

'I was "Executive –pretend Fit". Fit on the outside – ticked the image boxes (went to gym, good BMI) but I was not well.

There are millions of us out there at senior executive levels – pretending we are doing the right things but feeling rubbish – especially after work when the day's stresses and poor nutrition catch up with us and we reach for a glass of wine.

I am a health professional who, despite a background in and understanding of, preventative health, still benefitted greatly from my time with you and the team'.
  • The date of the wellness programme you attended
Sep/Oct 2011
  • The lifestyle changes you made during programme
Better eating. I already was attending gym and doing yoga classes, my weight was fine but my nutrition was hopeless. 
  • The lifestyle changes you made following your programme
I changed jobs. But I also stepped up from ordinary yoga to Bikram (hot) yoga. I try and attend 2-3 90 minute classes per week. It's been brilliant. I still do my weights resistance classes (Pump) at gym. The big change is that I seriously cut back my alcohol consumption from 1 1/2 glasses per night to maybe one glass a month. This is without doubt the best thing I have ever done.
  • The secrets of your success with wellness
The Bikram yoga has really challenged my mindfulness and ability to de-stress with consciousness. The reduction in alcohol consumption was triggered by an event in Australia called "Dry July" where volunteers give up drinking for a month to support cancer research. This gave me the trigger (and the excuse with my friends and colleagues) to not drink for the month and then it was easy to keep going. It was far easier than I thought it would be.
  • What advice that you received made the greatest impact on you?
Better nutrition.
  • The biggest benefits of making your lifestyle changes?
Where to start? Transformational. Energy++, love the yoga and gym combination – neither one sufficient on their own for me.
  • Anything that got in the way of success with wellness
I think the psychology of change is underestimated. The impact of Dry July was an important trigger for me to make the change. For example, if you say at a dinner party that you/re not drinking – you embarrass those who are or you seem a prima donna. If you have the trigger of a charity support or similar, it helps. This is just an example. But these triggers are significant enablers – or the lack of them serious impediments.
  • When wellness is working for you, what are the key elements that make the difference?
Breakfast yes, no alcohol after work and a careful dinner - no snacking.

Professor Helen Chenery
The University of Queensland

Read the previous instalment of our Inspiring Success Stories series

Image by jhenryrose Flickr

No comments: